Pages

Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wordless Wednesday - February 11 - Character Report Card

I'm linking up with Miss DeCarbo for Wordless Wednesday! I know this is longer than a normal Wordless Wednesday, but I'm excited!

This month we've been working on identifying character traits in books and short videos. This week, we watched Ormie the Pig. It is an adorable video about a pig who is attempting to get a jar of cookies off of the top of the fridge. He puts many different ideas to use trying to knock the cookies over. The kids LOVED this video.
Before watching, students were given this handout. We (teachers only) chose specific traits, and students copied them into the boxes. As they watched the video, students graded Ormie and showed their evidence. We explain a general scale aloud to students before they begin. As you will see below, we allow students to disagree as long as they have evidence to support their opinion! It creates FANTASTIC discussion in groups. And that's about it! Super simple. Highly engaging.

Example Grading Scale for the Character Report Card
A = OH! He is definitely _____!
B = I see that he is ______.
C = He can be _______, but _____.
D = He's not very _________.
F = I didn't see him being _____ at all!

Here, an on-level student accurately described Ormie's character traits.
Here, a below-level student gave different grades, but he was able to provide accurate support from the video.
Click the image to see more pictures of classroom activities this week!
Be sure to head over to Miss DeCarbo's blog to read more!



4 comments:

  1. Great idea :) I will have to try it.

    Mrs. Wiley
    @ Wiley Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea as well! How can I get my hands on that Character Report Card?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was on TpT. I believe my coworker just searched for free character report cards. :)

      Delete
  3. Do you have a list of the animated movie shorts that you use . I love this .

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover