Pages

Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wordless Wednesday - Center Storage


Linking up with Christina from Sugar and Spice today! Love Wordless Wednesdays...although this one isn't very wordless...ooopps!

This week I finally printed some of the things I have created this year.
 I started organizing my centers like this last year. We did literacy and math centers every day so I had A TON of activities and no where to keep them. Now I store my centers in plastic Ziploc bags. All the Ziploc bags go in a filing cabinet or the closet (depending on subject and topic). This is convenient for me & for early finishers who need to be kept busy!
 I print and laminate everything. I cut any extra white or lamination off of the big direction sheets. This way, they fit perfectly inside the zipper of the Gallon bags. Each activity has an individual bag that includes:
1) Anchor Charts
2) "I Can" Statement/Direction Sheet
3) Task Cards or Activities
4) One copy of the recording sheet for easy access.
Just grab it and make copies.

On Fridays before I leave, I grab the centers for the next week, take them out of the large bags, and put them in our center bins, like the one below. I leave the task cards in the small sandwich bags.
I keep the empty Gallon bags in a bin by my desk until I need to put them away again. Easy & cheap. If a bag rips, grab a new one!  

How do you store and organize your centers?

Be sure to link back up with other teachers!


15 comments:

  1. Wow. This is an awesome idea. How do I organize centers? I don't.... it's a hot mess!!!! haha. I'm definitely going to be working on this the next few weeks.

    Katie
    Dirty Hands & Lesson Plans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL This made me laugh. :) Good luck organizing this year! I hope this little idea helps!

      Delete
  2. This is my " NEED TO WORK ON" area...Thanks for the info! Wendy 1stgradefireworks 1stgradefireworks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I hope the idea sparks some more ideas for your classroom!

      Delete
  3. I also did the gallon ziploc bags for storing centers! I'm going to grab some plastic tubs to organize them by topic/theme for when they aren't being used.

    Bryce
    First Grade Stampede

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a great idea! At my old school, I had TONS of storage...like umpteen amounts. I had empty cabinets. So I stored them all in there. However, in the future I may use your plastic tub idea. :)

      Delete
  4. I use the Ziploc bags too and then put them in medium size plastic storage containers by topic.

    Jordan
    Team V's Second Grade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still working on the best way to organize my centers! Right now I have the recording sheets, and directions in those penny folders, and then the task cards in an expandable folder. I am not liking the system because then they aren't together, but the task cards bulk up the folders and make them hard to file! I love this idea, and then you could hole punch the bag and hang them somewhere?

    Mrs. 3rd Grade 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOO! Great idea about hanging them...Let me know if you do this in the future! :)

      Delete
  6. I teach fifth graders, so I don't do as many "centers" but we do have several social studies units in which we use stations. I have two Sterlite carts from target. Each drawer is a unit of study and this summer I put all my materials in there... that way I have all the station stuff when I get that unit. We'll see how well it works out. Previously, I tried ziploc bags but they were everywhere and I did want to have tons of boxes since I'm already low on storage! The Target drawers fit under my counters so it's perfect :)

    Good luck with all your organizing!
    Amanda
    My Shoe String Life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the idea of the Sterilite bins. I use those for weekly math centers. :) Love them.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE how awesome your printed resources are, as well as your amazing organization system...want to pop by my room to help? #kiddingnotkidding I keep most center paper in clear page protectors b/c we have limited laminating. Then, I take any laminated game pieces, manipulatives, supplies, and recording sheets and place them all in a 1 or 2 gallon baggie or the plastic velcro pouches you can sometimes get at $$ Tree. Thanks for the tips and for linking up to share!
    -Lindsey
    It's Elementary, My Dear! Wordless Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WISH I could come help. I'm out of the classroom this year, and I am dyyyying to decorate! :) I already have 2 friends that I am helping. LOL We had limited laminating at my old school too. However, I am OCD so I bought my own. I now invest in laminating sheets from Amazon.com.

      Delete
  8. Catherine PendletonJuly 17, 2015 at 10:14 AM

    Love it all!!! What kind of printer do you use to print your centers?

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover